Right about now, when the weather is especially schizophrenic in Southern California (80 one day, 60 the next), I could really do with something new and fresh and exciting to shake that winter gloom. Yes, I’ve been eyeing blush colored heels and pearl embellished sandals, but even if I buy them, they won’t see the light of day for at least another couple months. So the best thing I can do right now to satisfy my spring-lust is try some new makeup trends that’ll make me feel like I’m basking in the sun, even if I’m really just basking in the glow emanating from my computer screen.
Oh, and can I just say how much I love the layout by John Hong in my latest story for Composure Magazine? Seriously, it just makes me wanna smear some pink gloss all over my face and relive that youthful exuberance we had as kids.
So throw off that winter pallor and revive your beauty game with these fresh makeup trends.
Unleash your inner artist with ombré and watercolor effects on eyes and lips. A bit ambitious? Finger painting works, too.
- Two tone lipsticks create an easy ombré look. Laneige Two Tone Lip Bar, $25, us.aritaum.com
- Hynt Contour Sponge Blender, $15, hyntbeauty.com
- M.A.C TriColour Lip Glass in Stratagloss Pyrite, $20, maccosmetics.com
- Use this MUA favorite to lightly brush on lip color for a diffused look. Artis Elite Smoke Linear 1 Brush, $36, artisbrush.com
- Mix loose pigments with gloss for a watercolor effect. Hynt Stella Loose Powder Eye Shadow in Frozen Pink, $18, hyntbeauty.com
- Pixi Get the Look—ItsLipTime, $24, pixibeauty.com
- Pür Eye Polish in Satin, $26, purcosmetics.com
- Get creative. Wear the stain matte or ombré, or apply the gloss on top of eyeshadow for a glossy look. Doucce Luscious Lip Stain in Purple Paradise, $28, doucce.com
- Iope Dual Lip Blender, $27, us.aritaum.com
Painterly textures call for a velvety matte canvas. Glamglow Volcasmic ($54, sephora.com) absorbs excess oil and keeps skin satiny, not shiny.
This season’s lips are more naked than nude. Think plumped, juicy, innocent, with just a hint of sheen. Add highlighter to the cupid’s bow to emphasize fullness.
10. Like your lips but plusher and hydrating enough to banish flakes. Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Rosé, $24, nordstrom.com
11. Too Cool for School Max in Pocket Lip Balm, $12, sephora.com
12. Flirt Cosmetics ChickSticks for Lips in Bae, $18, flirtcosmetics.com
13. A unique waterless masque made to plump the lip contour. Nannette de Gaspé Mouth Masque, $85, nannettedegaspe.com
14. Maybelline New York Master Strobing Stick, $10, maybelline.com
15. Butter London Sheer Wisdom Lush Lip Oil, $22, butterlondon.com
OR NOT …
Understated not your style? Try one of spring’s wilder trends: sparkle lips. (Seriously, how can that not make anyone happy?) Just keep the rest of your face bare to keep it modern.
Milani Amore Matte Metallic Lip Crème in Matterialistic, $9, milanicosmetics.com
Originally published in Composure Magazine.