Sometimes blogging can be a lonely venture — holed up for hours at my desk in the corner of our home, typing away and trying to envision the faceless reader to whom I will be revealing all sorts of personal info about me, whether directly (like my morning and evening skin care routines) or indirectly (through the stories I’ve done for Composure Magazine or Glow Recipe). So it feels special being nominated for these blogger-to-blogger awards — like, yes, I’m a part of this community that’s out there, a community whose members reside all over the world, and yet we feel this unspoken bond because, let’s face it, we’re all trying to get recognized somehow for our tireless work. (And man, is blogging a lot of work.) It’s cool to come across a blog and read about, say, the blogger’s favorite eyeliner, only to realize that the blogger lives halfway across the world and is in such a different age bracket that you’d probably never have been acquainted with her if not for this love you share for non-smudging eyeliners.
Such is the case with smudges, who so kindly nominated me for the Sunshine Award and now, the Liebster Award. I may not know what she looks like, what she does, or other basic biographical info, but I do know she’s a great writer and has great tips on all sorts of beauty products. Her comments on my blog posts brighten my day, just like all the comments and likes I get. It helps to remind me that I’m not alone, and what I write is being read and appreciated by real people out there.
So for the Liebster Award, the rules are as follows:
- Post 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer 11 questions from your nominator.
- Nominate 11 other blogs with under 200 followers and ask them 11 questions (let them know you nominated them, tag them in your post or tell them in some way!)
So here we go!
11 Facts about Me
- My earliest memory is on a plane from Seoul to New York. I was 3.
- I began journaling at the age of 10. I have dozens of notebooks filled with my journals — they currently reside under my bed. I guess I was sort of blogging long before I was actually blogging.
- I started out in my career as a corporate bankruptcy attorney because that’s what I thought you had to do — and I hated physics so a doctor was out of the question.
- After realizing how much I hated being a lawyer, I quit and backpacked through Asia for 100 days. Best. Thing. I’ve. Ever. Done. Ever.
- My top five favorite travels (so far) were to Turkey, India, Seychelles, Italy (both times), and Philippines.
- The older I get, the more I crave flavors I never liked before: bitter greens, cilantro, sea salt and vinegar potato chips. But cheese — I will always love cheese, the stronger, the better.
- I’m an excellent whistler of songs, but I can’t sing.
- I can contort my tongue into a 3-leaf clover shape. It’s hereditary.
- I love the sound of rain, but I hate the sound of wind. It must be all those tornado watches we had in Michigan.
- I actually like a bit of turbulence on a flight. It’s soothing, like a massage or something.
- If I could do it all over again, I’d spend a semester abroad, I’d care less about what people thought of me, and I’d wear sunscreen every day.
11 Questions from smudges
Where do you get inspiration for blogposts?
Inspiration always hits either when I’m just about to drift off to sleep (I keep a Post-it pad on my bedside table) or when I’m driving.
What is the favourite blogpost you have written and why (please link if you want to)?
I had a lot of fun writing (though not experiencing) this one about my latest breakout and the miracle sheet mask that killed it, as well as my post on eye makeup for sagging lids, skin care for your man, and one of my fave skin care ingredients, propolis. But my all-time favorite post to write was one of my earliest, a personal one relating to my love of travel called Love at First Flight. It featured an old photo of me with my brother and grandparents at the airport, the day we were immigrating to the U.S. I love that photo (it was folded up so it’s got all these creases), and it says so much about me and my enduring passion for travel. The post was also more for me than anything, and it really changed my perspective on this thing called blogging. I thought, yeah, I could grow to like this.
What are some of your desert island (must-haves) beauty products?
Of course, sunscreen — one with a high percentage of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (physical, not chemical). Definitely my Sulwhasoo Perfecting Cushion compact, a black eyeliner that does smear (The Estée Edit Inside Track Eye Kajal is my current fave), Skinceuticals C E Ferulic, and La Mer Soft Cream. Hey, if I’m going to be on a desert island, and I can’t do my 12-step skin care routine, I might as well bring the best, right?
What are your favourite and least favourite aspects of blogging?
Favorite is the aesthetic satisfaction of seeing words and pictures all come together into a nice little comprehensive story. Least favorite is the quick turnover needed for every post. I hate not being able to take my time with a story, but in blogging, it seems, it’s all about volume.
What is your favourite meal: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
Unless I’m traveling, I usually never eat breakfast, though I do really look forward to my morning two cups of coffee. I’m not a foodie at all, so if I had to pick, I’d say lunch, just because I’m really hungry by lunchtime.
What are some things you do to de-stress?
Get a monthly facial at my local Korean facialist. If I’m really stressed, I’ll get a sports massage from my local Thai masseuse. I also spend time with my niece and nephew once a week. There’s nothing like solely focusing on the happiness and wellbeing of a child you love to make one forget about everything else.
Do you have any regrets in life or do you believe you should never have any regrets?
Of course I have regrets, though I also believe that every single thing you experience in life happens for a reason and helps you grow as a person. So my regrets are things like not wearing sunscreen as a teenager and not standing up to the racist bully in junior high.
Do you believe in fate or that life just full of random coincidences?
I believe God is always watching over me, and sometimes He protects me and sometimes He lets things happen, but always, ultimately, for my best interest.
Cream blush or Powder Blush?
Powder. Because I have lots of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, once my foundation is set, I don’t let too much else touch it.
Manicure or Pedicure?
Pedicure all the way. I’m too much of a klutz for a manicure to last longer than an hour. Seriously.
Do you buy beauty products online? What are some of your favourite online stores?
Totally! I’m a VIB Sephora member, but I’ll also buy from Dermstore.
MY QUESTIONS FOR MY NOMINEES
(I really liked some of smudges’ questions so I’m going to swipe them!)
- What is your favorite blog post you’ve written and why (please link if you want to)?
- What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of blogging?
- What’s your blogging ritual — where, how, when?
- Do you have any regrets in life or do you believe you should never have any regrets?
- Do you believe in fate or that life just full of random coincidences?
- Your favorite social media and why (also, what’s your handle)?
- Your dream travel destination and why?
- Your favorite outfit and why?
- What do you do or put on (type of clothes or makeup) when you need a boost of confidence?
- Your favorite form of entertainment?
- If you could be anything, career-wise, what would it be?
Can’t wait to read your answers!