I’m so new to blogging that when I saw that outofmythoughts of the blog smudges had nominated me for a Sunshine Blogger Award, I was truly honored. The Sunshine Blogger Award is a blogger-to-blogger award, by bloggers for bloggers who inspire with a positive message. I was honored especially because I love her blog, not just because she’s a woman after my own (beauty) heart — her tagline, “always hoping the next eyeliner doesn’t smudge on me,” could’ve been my own (as an Asian woman with sagging eyelids) — but because she’s a great writer with keen insights and a relatable voice.
I started this blog just under a year ago and, like outofmythoughts, during a transition period in my life (read: a new owner bought the company, folded the magazine, and laid everyone off). People were always telling me that I should start my own blog, but being a super private person, I was hesitant about putting myself “out there.” I’ve since learned that I really enjoy blogging and Instagramming — they’re like my own little magazines that I design, style and edit. Being a “print” person, I fought against going digital for a long time, even at my previous position as EIC of the Asian American women’s mag Audrey Magazine. But life throws you curveballs (which is a bad cliché analogy and one I really shouldn’t be using, given my ambivalence towards all things sports), and you’ve gotta roll with them. Which is what I did. So here I am. And surprise, surprise — I love what I do. It just took a giant
shove out the window at gunpoint push for me to summon up the courage to get to this point.
So thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone out there for visiting my little blog, for reading my thoughts on this and that. Beauty is now my full-time life, and I want to share everything that I’m learning with you all.
(In fact, I’ve decided that I really should be sharing with you the beauty press events I go to — they’re such great behind-the-scenes opportunities to learn in-depth about brands, products, and new launches, and to meet the people behind them, so why not share them with my readers? So stay tuned!)
The rules of this award are to answer the nominator’s questions and write different questions and then nominate other bloggers. Here are smudge’s questions:
1. What is your favourite meal?
Well, if you’re talking food, then pizza, no question. If you’re talking a kind of food, then probably Korean.
2. When do you like to write, edit, and upload your blog posts?
I’m not a morning person, so I’m definitely more productive in the afternoons, which is when I write my blog posts. As for scheduling them, I like my blog posts to go live at 6 a.m.
3. Eyeliner or Mascara?
Hands down, eyeliner. The first time I ever wore makeup was blue eyeliner carefully applied by my mom when I was 13. I can’t live without eyeliner. (I am Asian, after all.)
4. What is your favourite type of blog post to do?
I’m a straight-up beauty blogger. I love learning, reading and writing about beauty — mostly skin care — all day, erryday.
5. What is your favourite time of day (e.g. sunrise, dusk)?
I do love a good sunset, especially since my home faces west, and we here in L.A. get some of the best palm-tree silhouetted sunsets ever.
6. Do you watch beauty gurus on YouTube and what are your favourites?
I tend towards skin care YouTubers like Glow Recipe, but Michelle Phan and other makeup-focused YouTubers are so mesmerizing, it’s dangerous if I start on a YouTube tear.
7. What is one thing that always make you smile?
My nieces. A good period piece. New clothes. Deliveries of beauty products. (Sorry, that’s like six things.)
8. What is your favourite aspect of blogging?
Blogging is my creative outlet — my own little digital “magazine,” my beauty diary, my motivation. I love seeing my home page, with the photos I took to illustrate my stories and the editing to produce a balanced feed. I also love Instagramming as a supplement to my blog.
9. If you could spend your next paycheck on skin care or makeup, which would it be?
Definitely skin care. I’m a skin care girl all the way. And most likely something from Skinceuticals.
10. Which is your favourite feature to apply makeup on (e.g., brows, eyes)?
I spend a lot of time on my foundation (primer, cushion compact, foundation) because I believe, like skin care, layering gives me the best results. And my eye makeup routine is fairly elaborate (again, lots of layering). But I probably have the most fun applying my lip products, just because I have so many textures and colors to play with.
My questions for my nominees:
- Why and how did you get into blogging?
- What is your favorite beauty product and why?
- What is the one makeup product you’d take with you on a desert island?
- What is the one skin care product you’d take with you on a desert island, other than sunscreen?
- Clothes or beauty and why?
- A recent beauty buy regret.
- A recent beauty discovery (product, technique, blog, etc.)
- Favorite beauty blogger of all time and why.
- Your dream job.
- Name an obstacle, problem, or discouraging situation you encountered as a blogger, and how did you overcome it?
My blogger nominations: