Pretty much when it comes to summertime, I sort of give up on a perfect makeup look or smooth, shiny hair, especially when I go on vacation. It just takes too much work, and it’s just too dang hot, so I let everything just run free. But the latest beauty products are so technologically advanced and so easy to use, I just may have to make a bit more effort this season. Read on for tips and tricks to keeping your makeup from sliding off, your hair as smooth as silk, and your skin UV protected while still allowing yourself the lazy, hazy days of summer.
First, some tips on how to keep your makeup melt-proof.
• A must for summer is a face primer to ensure that your foundation stays on all day. A silicone- based primer since it repels water (water-based primers attract water, causing your makeup to melt).
• If you prefer a water-based primer (a silicone primer may cause a water-based foundation to pill), use a setting spray (like Boscia White Charcoal Mattifying MakeUp Setting Spray, one of the few setting sprays that doesn’t contain alcohol) or pat a setting powder over your foundation to keep it from melting down. Try Algenist Reveal Color Correcting Radiant Primer, my current go-to primer, which has just a hint of silicone so it won’t cause your water-based foundation to pill.
• Avoid cream products (like cream blush) in the summer, since they can easily slide off. And of course keep mascara waterproof (like with LashFusion XXL Dramatically Volumizing Waterproof Mascara), and I love Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Sand Glow for its long-lasting yet blendable finish in the most beautiful sheen.
• To make sure that your brows stay on fleek all day, use a water-resistant brow pomade like the one from Anastasia . Set your brow pomade with brow powder or regular powder. Another option is a brow gel like Wunder2 Wunderbrow, which has hair-like fibers to fill in your brows, and it can last for up to two days.
• Try one of those lip stains popular in Korea, like Chosungah Ink Jet Lip Tatt Lip Stain. They apply like a marker and leave a lasting stain so you never look washed out, even through meals and swimming. Or Milani Amore Matte Lip Crémes are amazing in their staying power (I pretty much gush about them here), with a trendy matte finish and super affordable price tag ($8.99).
For an easy, breezy hair look this summer, take a cue from the spring runways and tie everything back into a sleek ponytail. Wrap a metallic ribbon around it for a fashion-y twist, or play with the telephone wire-inspired hair tie by Invisibobble (I first discovered these in Korea and have been obsessed ever since). The plastic hair tie minimizes hair dents and harsh tugging better than elastics (important for weakening hair follicles), all while keeping hair in place.
And of course, you can’t forget sun protection. And while there are plenty of sunscreens for every skin type and concern, if you really want to make it easy, try these 2-in-1’s — they make sneaking in sun protection a no-brainer.
In a lip gloss: Paula’s Choice Anti-Aging Lip Gloss SPF 40, $18
In a tinted moisturizer: Per-fékt Skin Perfection Plus, $48
In a cushion: Amorepacific Age Correcting Foundation Cushion SPF 25, $80
See the full story at Composuremagazine.com.