’Tis the season to indulge, so go ahead, YOLO! Just make sure to heed a bit of pre-party advice to minimize post-party fallout. That way, after you’ve binged to your heart’s content, you’ll have everything you need to recover from the (inevitable) New Year’s Eve hangover, and your skin won’t have to pay the price.
Because nothing starts off a new year wrong like a New Year’s Day breakout.
- Remove Your Makeup: Keep Koh Gen Do Cleansing Spa Water Wipes on your bedside table, and you can even take off your makeup lying down. These genius, holy grail wipes remove even waterproof makeup with mineral-rich water from Japan’s Yumura Hot Springs — no tugging and no rinsing required.
- Apply a Sleeping Mask: Another thing to keep on your nightstand: a sleeping mask. After taking off your makeup, smear a generous amount of sleeping mask on your face, and you’re good to go. Amorepacific Moisture Bound Sleep Recovery Masque is loaded with antioxidants to fight damage incurred earlier in the day and stimulates the skin’s own ability to retain moisture, while Belif First Aid Anti-Hangover Soothing Mask soothes stressed and irritated skin.
- Soothe Bloodshot Eyes: If you have to be somewhere New Year’s Day (hello Korean-bowing-to-your-elders tradition!), apply cotton balls soaked in soy milk (squeeze out the excess) for five minutes to reduce swelling, hydrate skin and constrict veins in bloodshot eyes, says Dr. Jessica Wu, dermatologist and assistant clinical professor of dermatology at USC Keck School of Medicine. Then apply an eye cream with illuminators, like La Mer The Illuminating Eye Gel, to blur dark circles.
- Before You Apply Makeup: Next, apply Too Faced Hangover Primer over your moisturizer and under makeup. A primer unlike most, this one is infused with coconut water, not silicone, and replenishes skin’s moisture levels. And though it feels more like a light lotion than a too-slick primer, this makes makeup go on like silk.
- Treat Yourself to a Mask: Later in the day, after you’ve had your dduk-guk (rice cake soup, another Korean new year’s tradition), treat your skin to a little TLC. Use a triple-action resurfacing clay mask, like Rodial Super Acids X-treme Hangover Mask, to detoxify and purge your complexion of all that excess from the night before. Then apply a soothing sheet mask and just veg on the couch for half an hour.
- Give Your Skin a Jump Start: Last but not least, now’s the best time to start a good habit. Begin using an ampoule, which is an even more concentrated version of a serum, to get skin revving again in 30 days. LJH Vita Propolis Ampoule is one of those wonder potions I buy again and again — it injects skin with a powerful dose of antioxidants and also helps fight blemishes. Another skin-loving option is a pre-serum booster like Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate. Based on two decades of skin immunity research, this super booster is the first to enhance skin’s immunity to outside stressors like air pollution, UV rays and even emotional stress, by bolstering the function of the epidermis’ Langerhans cells.